April 30, 2009

April 30, 2009, our new reality

Winston is finally home and we don't see any surgeries in his immediate future. We're just working on trying to get him healthy again after his knee infection. He's here with his pegleg bandage.

He finds it hard to walk with because he can't bend the knee enough to keep from dragging it behind him. That looks awful and really uncomfortable. I try to use the sling to help him out, but that doesn't seem to work very well either because the only way for me to get the leg up off the ground is to totally lift his hind-end and he hates that.

I'm trying to feel his toes. I can barely even find his toes, and the only part of them that I can feel is the horny calloused bottoms of the two middle toes. Are they cold? It's hard for me to tell because I am usually cold these days so when my cold fingers are feeling the rough part of the two toes, I don't feel much difference. It doesn't feel warm to me. Is that cold? Or am I just "normal cold" and so is Winston. I (of course) worry about this, but decide that since they don't feel a lot different from my finger temperature that they're probably fine -- my fingers are fine and not ready to fall off.

He's eating today. He ate about a can and a half (those 5.5 oz Mighty Dog cans) of food for breakfast, so at lunchtime I thought I'd add a little kibble to it. I added about a quarter of a cup of kibble to a can of food and he ate it, but wouldn't eat any more. He did the same at dinner time, but then before bed he ate another can of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment