May 10, 2010

Day 4 post left TPLO "explant"

Winston continues to get better.  He is moving more easily today and when I did his leg exercises, he just relaxed onto his side and seemed unconcerned.  I was able to do a full bicycle motion today.

When standing, he is still toe-touching, but when he walks, he is putting even more weight on the leg than he has in a month.  The back pad of his foot looks fully engaged, and his back looks straight as he walks.

Today is the first day I don't feel so guilty about putting him through yet another surgery.  I'm hopeful that he can get to a more "normal"state.

Today is also the first day that I might have heard a result of the lab culture (though maybe that depends on when the sample got to the lab... so realistically maybe tomorrow would be the first day).  No news at this point is good news.  I'm hoping for the best.

Winston's incision looks good, and some of the swelling has started to go down.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't see if they determined if Winston had a torn meniscus or if they thought it was just the plate causing a problem. From what I have heard plate removal after the first week is pretty easy on them so no need to feel guilty! Ruth And Guzzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I thought I'd included that info on the day of surgery. I'll have to go check that. He had a torn meniscus and also loose screws for the TPLO plate.

    ReplyDelete