February 19, 2010

February 19, 2010, 11 weeks post TPLO, good news again

Winston seemed almost back to normal this morning.  He is standing up much easier than he has in the past few days.  The rest appears to be helping him.  I debated calling AMVS and rescheduling our appointment for next week since I know they're shorthanded this week, but then I thought if something happens this weekend that I'd regret changing the appointment, so we went as scheduled.

Dr Flynn did an exam and said that everything felt good and as he would expect.  They did x-rays and said that while he's still not fully healed, he's at 80% and everything looks good.  We're to keep doing what we're doing (letting him rest with some 5 minute walks) until Monday when we can return to 25 minute walks, and then if he does ok with that, we can try increasing to 30 minutes on schedule at 12 weeks.

I got the impression that little blips like this aren't unusual.  It was just a bit shocking to me how quickly the pain seemed to get really bad, and then how quickly he seemed to get over it.

2 comments:

  1. I have to ask as I am just trying to decide for my dog between a TPLO and tight rope. Her 1st knee was fixed with TPLO but the cost and recovery time are hard to swallow. The tightrope sounded good till I read you blog.

    If you were to do it again, which way would you go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing what I know now -- and I think that there is more info out there on the internet now on the tightrope than there was when we made our decision for the tightrope repair, I'd go with the TPLO despite the cost and recovery.

    That being said, there are successful tightropes out there.

    The only advice I can give you is, if you decide to go with the tightrope repair and if for some reason it ends up failing, what would you do? Can you afford the TPLO at that point, or would you be in a situation where you couldn't afford to have another surgery and recovery? The TPLO surgery and recovery after having already done a tightrope is longer and slower, and won't be the same result as if you'd gone with the TPLO in the first place.

    I'm sorry to hear that your pup needs another knee repair, and I wish you the best of luck whichever way you decide to go!

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete