June 13, 2009

June 13, 2009 - 1.75 weeks post-TPLO


Almost all the swelling is gone is gone in Winston's leg, and he's walking on it pretty normally considering he's got so much atrophy in that leg.

We go to AMVS on Monday to get the staples out. He's still got some small scabs, so he's going to be stuck with the donut until the rest of those fall off, but it shouldn't be long. I'm excited to start walking again. Even though we'll only be able to go about 3 houses in either direction, it will be the first time he's left the property on his own four feet since mid April. He is going to be SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!! I can't wait.

Josie is also going to be happy since she misses walking with him.

I'm unsure of when we will be allowed to help him up and down the stairs. With the Tightrope, we were able to start taking him up into the main part of the house at 1 week. I suspect that he might be down in his room for awhile yet. I'm going to guess at least 4 weeks post-surgery, but I won't be surprised to hear that they want to wait until 8 weeks. It seems that each surgeon has a different opinion. We'll ask about that when we go on Monday.

We took down the exercise pen today and put baby gates across the stairs. Now Winston has 2 beds, and a bunch of floorspace to choose from. It's not as good as being able to "live upstairs like normal" but there's enough room for Josie to hang out with him, and there's enough room for me to work down there during the day with the two of them at my feet. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment