July 1, 2009

July 1, 2009 -- walking around the block!

Last week we were still doing 5 minutes per walk, but we were walking 4-6 times a day, and towards the end of the week, I increased one walk to 10 minutes. On Monday this week we cut back to 3 walks per day -- it's starting to get HOT during the day, so our walk frequency will depend on the weather. It's hard to cool yourself down when you're close to 200 pounds and all you've got is a tongue to do it with! Uh... I'm talking about Winston of course :)

We increased the time of each walk to 10 minutes. Winston handled that well, and so last night on our last walk I got to the far corner of the block (the halfway point for that direction) and wondered if he could make it all the way around the block. The block is kind of wedge shaped and we're at the fatter end, so depending on how fast we walk, it's more like 12-15 minutes. He managed it fine and seemed ok again this morning, so we did it again on our morning walk. HOORAY! It's a little less boring.

We're going to head out for a short walk and hope for shade.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings - I'm happy to stumble upon your blog. My 4 year old, 90 pound chocolate lab, Gracie had TPLO surgery in April. About 3 weeks post surgery, she fell and dislocated her kneecap. Next she underwent a femoral osteotomy to realign her femur. We are now coming up on 7 weeks post the second surgery.

    I still get nervous when I see her "go three-legged" as I call it. I think she does it more for speed and out of habit.

    Check out our adventures at: http://mintodog.blogspot.com/

    Best to you and Winston on his recovery.

    ReplyDelete