March 18, 2009

March 2009, 6 weeks post-op

This afternoon, Winston was sleeping at my feet and I noticed that the "middle incision" with the pesky blue stitch was inflamed. It was slightly swollen and reddish. It looked like lips with lipstick and just jumped out at me. I called AMVS immediately and they told me to bring him in.

When I got there, the doctor gave a tug on the stitch and it came out along with some "gore". He explained that Winston was reacting to the stitch rather than absorbing it like most dogs do. This didn't shock me since one of my friends who recently had surgery had the same problem. Since where the stitch came out was a little messy, they decided to shave it and "clean it up" before we went home. I kept him indoors for the rest of the day, and after that I put a large (knee) bandage over it whenever we went out until it healed totally over in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment