April 18, 2011

Goodbye my friend

Since my last post Winston continued to have good days and bad days.  Unfortunately the bad days started to outnumber the good days.  We tried to keep his pain under control but he started to have days where he just couldn't cope with it.  He would stand all hunched up with his head down and pant.  He couldn't get comfortable lying down, he couldn't sit, he struggled to walk, but he was in so much pain that when he did walk he'd kind of shuffle along.  The first time this happened, we were able to get the pain under control again, but it got to the point where the relief he got only lasted for an hour or two.

After an especially bad night, I walked out with him to go potty and he told me that he was ready to go.  I sat out in the yard with him for awhile and cried.  We took him to AMVS that morning and we stayed with him to the end.

2 comments:

  1. Dianne,

    I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend Winston. I started following your blog in December 0f 2009 when our dog Gator had knee surgery. Our Gator is also not doing well. The knee surgery healed okay but now we have serious neurological problems with the two back legs.

    I have so enjoyed reading about you and Winston and your other dog. The loss of our companions leaves such a void in our lives. I know that Winston left paw prints on your heart. I am truly sorry.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is colleen and I have read your blog. I am truly sorry, I have a mastiff and I was told today that his TPLO was zero perc success. They want to remove the plate. I would love to ask you more questions on your expierence. My personal email is cjacobson2003@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete